Why I Stayed

My husband Phil and I have worshiped at the same congregation for thirty-seven years minus three, when he went to law school in Northern Kentucky. We met at Greenwood Park in 1973 -- which was then the old Park Street church  -- when we were in college at Western. We were so accepted--like part of the family-- that when Phil got out of law school we decided to make Bowling Green our home.

Most years I've been thoroughly happy worshiping at GWP but there were years when I wasn't. For those of you who've also been tempted to leave, here's why I stayed:

1) I realized it was God working in me to will and to act according to HIS good purpose, not man's.

2) What I believe I believe with conviction. The fact that I disagree with someone doesn't change my conviction. I'm sure I would disagree with someone "over there."

3) I realized the difference between being called and being driven and chose to be called. A called person listens to the voice of God while a driven person listens to the voice of the guilt of the inner man. I never heard GOD'S voice say "leave."

4) I learned what freedom in Christ means; it means I am free to be me and you are free to be you with neither of us standing condemned.

5) I chose to be a Mary, not a Martha. I fixed my eyes on Jesus instead of on those watching me.

6) I quit being an inspecter of fruit and started growing my own.

7) I realized the body has many parts. If I'm going to be a knee you're free to be an elbow. We may be different but we're still part of the same body.

8) I realized where I stood in the leadership. I was a woman who had no authority, married to a man who did. I shared my anger with him and asked him to take up my case. I turned everything over to him, silenced the mental chatter and  listened to his advice.

9) I learned the definition of submission and put it into practice: I made the decision work when I didn't agree with it, without being disagreeable.

10) I read the books "You Can Be Happy No Matter What" and "Happiness is a Choice" and chose to be happy.

11) I realized that no other person can keep me from Heaven; only I can do that.

12) I realized God does not have opinions; only man does. In determining gray areas what keeps a church together is how much they love one another. I chose love over being right; I always will.

Having lived many years beyond this struggle I can look back and see many lessons God taught me. When I was tempted to flee, God said "Be still" -- the most important lesson I learned, the one I teach more than any other. Without being still there can be no intimacy with God.  "Be still and know that he is God," the psalmist tells us. "I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." And I can exalt HIM anywhere.

Comments

This was so good. I may be one from "over there" but I love everything you said here! ;) You are living for HIM, not man. Way to go Teresa!
Teresa Kimbel said…
Kristin, there's nowhere you could go that I wouldn't consider you a kindred spirit and my sister. Love you!
Lynnmarie Couvillon said…
This is great. I especially like #12. To "be still" can be so hard to do, yet so important.

I, for one, am very glad you are at GWP. Otherwise we may have never met.

I love you! You continue to be such an inspiration for me.

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Please pray for me