To Laura

Twenty-four years ago today, was one of the most beautiful days I can ever remember. Everyone was either making plans to watch or go to the Kentucky Derby or wondering how they could celebrate Cinco de Mayo. The morning fog lifted and a new day began, that revealed the beauty of Spring and celebrated God's handiwork. I was in awe of God's creation, but I was even more in awe that I was a part of it. God knew something very big was going to happen to us that day. And it did.

You woke me up around 4:00 a.m., which you had done on several occasions, to go to the bathroom, and I sat there realizing that the nine months we had spent together was soon coming to an end. We had been inseparable, you and I. When you moved, I moved. When I moved, you moved. Coughing, kicking, sneezing, hiccoughing, stretching, yawning, tumbling--there was nothing we didn't do together. What you did, I did. What I did, you did. We were inseparable. Even though we could have lived apart, God knew we didn't need to.

I woke your dad around 4:30 a.m. and called Kathy Witty. Being already awake in anticipation of "the plan" she arrived around 5:00 a.m. to take care of your brother. Even though God had planned for you since creation, He had waited on us, until just the right time, to bring us together.

At speeds, unlawful, with fog all around, we drove to Glasgow and arrived very quickly. In Smiths Grove I asked your dad how fast he was going, and told him not to slow down. I walked into the hospital very slowly, unable to stand, and told the nurses it was my "due date"...but because this was so unlike my first delivery, I did not know if it was time or not. After they checked me, they told me I was within two centimeters, and that, soon, I could push.

Hardly, did you give me time to prepare, before you came. With your dad by my side, watching every minute, you entered this world kicking and screaming. You left no doubt that, one day, you would be a great singer and, today, you have proven us right.

We called your grandparents, who heard you screaming, and they arrived, when you were no more than one hour old. Because they had awaited your birth with much anticipation, not knowing if you were a boy or girl, they were thrilled to know that you were a girl, so now they could say "she's our first" and would become, their only, "grand-daughter." We named you Laura Ellen, contrary to what my mother thought, after no one, because we just wanted you, to be you. You had curly black hair, puffy red cheeks, and very blue eyes. You weighed 7 lbs. 14 1/2 ounces, were smaller than your brother at birth, but were loved no less. We watched as your eyes opened right before ours.

What once had been one child now became two. What once had been a family of three, now became four. David had a new baby sister and a new day began. The first thing I remember David saying about you, was "I love my baby sister," which he acknowledges today. We took you home in a carseat, given to us by the health department, as they were just being introduced, and they, like us, wanted to protect you, especially on your first trip home. It seems like such a dream, but that was twenty-four years ago.

On December 15, 2007 you became Mrs. Clinton Robert Mills and one week from today you will start a new life in Paducah. There is so much I want to say to you, that's so similar to the words I've just written that describe my very first days with you.

Today is one of the most beautiful days in your life. You are making so many plans--where will I go, what will I do, who will my friends be, what job will I have. All the preparations have been made and a new day is dawning, which will reveal your life, your character and your inner beauty, that God gave you from the start to celebrate His handiwork. I am in awe of God's creation, but I am even more in awe that I was a part of it. God knew something very big was going to happen to you, today. And, indeed it has.

You have awakened me, on several occasions, with the difficulties of life, that make me realize that life is fleeting and only the eternal will last. You have been inseparable from my love. When you have coughed, I've said "cover your mouth." When you have kicked, I've punished. When you have sneezed I've said "bless you." When you have hiccoughed, I've made you count. When you've yawned, I've put you to bed. When you've tumbled, I've picked you up. Our lives have been inseparable. Even though there was a time we lived apart, God knew we needed each other.

We have all watched with great anticipation the unveiling of "the plan" God has in store for you. Even though from creation God knew I would become your mom, I am amazed he used me. He waited on both of us, until just the right time, to bring us together as mother and daughter.


You came in lightning speed and have never slowed down. I walked into the hospital to deliver a baby and walked out with a woman in my hands.

It seems like life has happened so quickly. I have hardly had time to prepare. With your dad by my side, listening every minute, we've heard as you've sung the songs on your heart and we're proud of the talents you have.

Your grandparents have been there, even from the start. They've loved you and cared for you, but especially when I couldn't. We've watched, with our eyes, how your eyes have been opened.

What once was a home inhabited by four, now becomes a home inhabited by two. What once was a family made up of only four is now a larger family, thank Heaven, that's made up of seven. We have David and Laura and Clinton and Kelly and our first grandchild Bella, but anticipate more.

I cannot protect you from all of life's troubles. I don't even think that I should. Just like the pain I felt when I had you, pain lets you know you're alive and life goes on.

I've always known that children are a gift from God, but never really understood how God could give His away. Today, I realize, like the saying goes, that love isn't love until you give it away. Even though today is your birthday and in a week you're moving, I feel like, more than ever, I realize love from God's perspective. Clinton and the world would never know the depth of your love, if you hadn't received it, and you would have never received it, unless you had, first, had it to give. Laura you are a gift that's been given to me, that I am proud to be giving away.

Today, I wish you happy birthday, twice. Once for the day you entered my world as a baby, and next week as you begin a new life in Paducah. This is what God planned. This is what God intended. Thank you, God, for this precious gift.

Comments

Valerie said…
Awesome post. Laura you are a blessed daughter and Teresa a blessed mother. Thank you God for the bonds between a mama and a daughter!!!
Jeanne said…
What a beautiful tribute to Laura!

I read this with tears in my eyes...

...understanding the awesomeness of giving birth,
...experiencing the good and the bad of raising a child,
...having a heart that wants to burst at seeing that child grow and blossom,
...being on our knees when that is all we can do,
...having mixed emotions in saying goodbye (though not for good yet),
...and finally being totally without words when that child brings another child into this world, knowing that you are a part of this because God chose you to be part of it.

Love, Jeanne
Anonymous said…
Teresa, Thanks for sharing your beautiful blessing. Daughters are truly a precious gift. "For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul know it very well. Psalm 139:13-14. To know that He chose them before the foundation of the world and chose us for them. Though only for a time they are part of our body; they always have our hearts and minds. We watch as they grow and mature and choose the One that chose them. They keep us on our knees always. As the country song goes - when you cried I matched you tear for tear. Then we see our prayers fulfilled as they choose the one God has chosen for them and that we have prayed for for them for many years. He has prepared their path and we watch as they walk, stumble, fall and find their way again. I praise God for the things He has allowed in their lives for their growth and maturity. How blessed we are as mothers to watch them leave the nest and go where they must to build their own nest. The blessings that follow are worth it all. How well I remember what Marilyn said to me after Madeline was born: "Now I know how much you love me." And those that follow are indeed our crown! Sometimes I don't feel like my heart can hold all the love I feel for my precious grandchildren. I praise God always for all things for what do I have that I did not receive from him - daughter, granddaughters, the mother I had that loved and nurtured and prayed for me. To God me the glory for mothers and daughters everywhere and for His unique creation of birth and rebirth. Thank you for my dear friend Teresa and her daughter Laura.

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Giants