King Tut

After visiting Laura last week-end and going on a nature trail, I was so intrigued by the hummingbirds that I bought a feeder myself. I asked Phil to hang it on the shepherd's crook in our back yard, behind my kitchen window. And he did. I wanted two of them, but Phil said we'd see how long it took them to find this one. Oh! My! My! My! My My! In less than 24 hours we had hummingbirds...enough hummingbirds that I came up with this blog.

I've named one of them KING TUT because he's the bully and thinks he's the leader.
I've named another one of them ESTHER, because she's bullied by King Tut.
The rest of the covey are THE OTHERS because there's just too many to give names to and they fly too quickly to know which is which.

Okay. Here's the parable that I literally came up with in less than 10 minutes because I've seen it ALL MY LIFE. It is so similar to what happens in the CHURCH that I didn't even have to think about it. It just flowed.

1) King Tut thinks his role is to guard the nectar, BUT

2) As long as he sits, perched on top, he cannot even drink the nectar.

3) Because he is guarding it so closely, Esther and THE OTHERS cannot drink the nectar.

4) Because Esther and THE OTHERS have been so bullied by King Tut, they are afraid to drink the nectar.

5) When they finally do get to drink the nectar, they cannot enjoy it for fear of King Tut's dive-bombing them.

6) When they finally do get to drink the nectar, their eyes can never fully stay on the nectar, because they are watching out for King Tut.

7) King Tut is always causing fights.

8) As long as there are fights no one, not Esther or THE OTHERS, is drinking the nectar.

9) They don't know it, but there would always be more nectar, if they would just drink.

10) And sadly, we've been watching their behavior, instead of enjoying their beauty.

So what did Phil and I do to get the fighting to stop?

WE BOUGHT ANOTHER FEEDER

We felt like that was the only way to get King Tut to stop, and allow Esther and THE OTHERS the opportunity to drink.

Okay, so as I have been writing this, Phil has come home...giving me the rest of the story. Here it is!

This morning a new little, red hummingbird, we had never seen before, was actually drinking the nectar. In flew King Tut who thought he would scare off the new little, red hummingbird. The new little red hummingbird just sat there, and put his beak up into King tut's face, as if to say, "I'm going to drink this nectar regardless." So, King Tut left and the new little red hummingbird drank the nectar.

Do you get it? Do I have to explain what all of this means? Sadly enough, I don't think I have to, because we've all been there and done that.

What I want to leave with you is this--my favorite verses in the whole Bible.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Heb. 12:1-3

Be the new little red hummingbird that loves to drink of the "living water" so much, that nothing, not King Tut or any of THE OTHERS, will keep you from drinking it. Know that if you continue drinking, you will never run out of "living water." If you keep watching Jesus, who was bullied himself, but became the Keeper of the Shepherd's Crook, you will "soar on wings like eagles; you will run and not grow weary, you will walk and not be faint" and that is what we were meant to do.

Comments

Jeanne said…
I love it! What an awesome comparison. I want to be a little red hummingbird, yes I do!

Thank you, sweet friend, for always seeing the lesson in everyday life...

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Giants