Overcoming Worry and Anxiety

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR OVERCOMING WORRY AND ANXIETY

Ask yourself “What am I thinking?”

Bring your mind back to the present moment.
“Right now is where life is truly lived. Life is a series of present moments to experience.” *
“A mind that is out of the moment is fertile ground for worry, anxiety, regret and guilt.” *
Looking back brings regret and guilt. Looking forward brings worry and anxiety.
100% of life is lived in the present moment.

Realize you are God's child and your Father knows best.

1) God is in control
2) His timing is perfect and
3) He’s never made a mistake
These three facts are true but hard to grasp. Once understood, and applied, they can help you cope with any and everything.

Ask yourself “Is this worry real?”
If it’s from the past, it’s only a memory.
“Memories are simple, harmless thoughts passing through my mind.” *
“The only way a thought or series of thoughts can harm me is if I give them
significance.” *
“If I don’t, they have no power to hurt me.” *
“I can look at them and respond or simply let them go.” *
If it’s from the future, tomorrow never comes.
Most of what I worry about never happens.
The bad things that happen I never expect.
The problem is in my mind and in my thinking.
“It’s my thinking, not my circumstances, that determines how I feel.” *

Ask yourself, “Is this really my problem?”

If it is, I can fix it.
If it isn't, I can’t.
If I can’t, I let it go and let someone else fix it.
I pray for wisdom for both them and myself to know what to do.

Realize what you can and cannot control.

I can only control myself – my attitude, my behavior and my thinking.
I can only control another human being to the point they will allow it.
I cannot control my feelings but I can control my response to them.
What others say or do is up to them.
“You wouldn’t worry about what others thought of you if you only knew how
seldom they did.” Dr. Phil

Try not to have a relationship with your mind.
I take every thought captive.
I am the thinker of my own thoughts.
I cannot feel depressed without first thinking depressing thoughts.
I cannot feel happy without first thinking happy thoughts.
“Every negative feeling is a direct result of a negative thought.” *
I think on those things found in Phil. 4:8 – whatever is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy . 
I sing, read scripture, praise God or pray.

Learn what worry and anxiety are.

Worry is fear with a target.
Anxiety is fear without a target.
Fear indicates a lack of faith in God.

Anxiety comes from the Greek word merimna which means “to be pulled in
different directions."
“To divide or separate into parts” –
It’s the word used when Jesus divided the two fish among the multitudes in
Mark 6:41.
It’s the “worries of this life” that choke the word causing it to be unfruitful in
Matthew 13:22.

Worry comes from the Greek word merimnao which is the verb form of the noun above.
It means “to be troubled with cares” –“to care for, look out for a thing” – “to seek to promote one's interests" -- “caring or providing for.”
Jesus tells us to “let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God. Believe also in
me.” I do.
I put my trust in Him, not in myself.

Thank God daily for giving you “every good and perfect gift that comes from

above.”
I thank Him for the gift.
I thank Him for being the giver, which to me is more significant.

Have faith in God not your fears.
Faith is a gift that comes from God and from hearing His word. Romans 10:17
I read, study, memorize and meditate on scripture daily.
If God told me He would GIVE ME all the money I would ever need FOR LIFE -- all I
had to do was show up every day -- I would do it. Wouldn't you? Why not for
faith?
The opposite of faith is fear which causes worry and anxiety.

Go back to number one when worried and anxious again.


* Taken from the book “You Can Be Happy No Matter What” by Richard Carlson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Giants