Come to the table

What can I say, when differences arise like some of us are going through right now? Talking about religion, and our beliefs, I believe, brings about more conflict than any other subject. How sad it is that the church becomes the battlefield, instead of the safe haven. There was dissension in the first century church and even Christ himself could not please everbody. I really don't even think He tried. I believe His primary reason for coming to earth was to show man what unconditional love looks like and to save man's soul. He taught us that relationships are more important than rules and that the entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself," Galatians 5:14, and the admonitions continue in Galatians 5:15 when Paul says, "If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other."

During the time my dad was an elder and I was in grade school, the elders at my home congregation, made the decision to disfellowship one of its members. He was a prominent man in the community who was divorcing his wife, who was another one of our members. It was such a difficult time in the church, on the elders, and on their families. Not only did it hurt them, I'm sure it hurt our outreach in the community. However, the one thing I will never forget from the entire experience was my family's experience around the kitchen table. Where there was usually a feast, there was emptiness. Where there had been happiness there was pain. Where there had been love there was friction and we simply could not eat. I remember my dad sitting down to eat, only to get back up, because he couldn't.

In my mind's eye, the kitchen table represents home. It represents all ages; mom, dad, children and baby. The home starts with mom and dad, who have babies who become children who grow up to be moms and dads who have babies who become children and the cycle goes on. The family table grows as the family grows, but sometimes gets smaller when someone moves or passes on. Regardless of time, the kitchen table exists to welcome us home, even when mom and dad are gone, and gives us a place to eat and become reacquainted when we get back together.

God has a table, we call the Lord's table, we come around every Sunday. With Christ at the head we center our thoughts around him. We remember His body, we remember His blood. We remember Him as our older brother. He unites us as one and we become family. When he looks at us, he does not see sin. He sees his blood that takes away the sin of the world. We know He does not condemn us because we are in Him. Romans 8:1

Why do we condemn each other when Jesus does not? Why do we say such hurtful things to each other when Jesus did not? Is it impossible for me to remain silent while "Jesus before his shearers was dumb?" Do I have to have my way, while Jesus submitted to his parents, God, Sinners, Judas, Scripture, False Witnesses, the high Priest and Pilate? Can I come around the table and eat with you, while at the same time condemn you? Can I condemn you when Jesus, himself, did not? I have heard it said when conflict comes, we don't remember what people say, we remember their tone of voice.

The acts of eating and drinking were so significant to Jesus that He tells the crowds he was the bread of life. He told the Samaritan woman that "Everyone who drinks the water He gives them will never thirst. Indeed, the water He gives will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." He tells the disciples to eat the bread and drink the cup, because they represent Him. And He tells the Laodiceans, "If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."Revelation 3:21

I know that God wants us to come together and partake of the bread and blood of Jesus Christ because He is our Savior and He wants us to remember Him. To me, partaking of this meal is virtually impossible if I am biting and devouring my brother at the same time. Jesus prayed that we might be one...that we may be brought to complete unity to let the world know that [God] sent [Jesus] and [that God has] loved [us] even as [God] has loved [Jesus].

Even though many times we had disputes and conflicts when my family sat down at the kitchen table, we knew we were family and nothing was going to change that or sever our relationships. Regardless of who we were as brothers and sisters, we still had the same Father and we had to get along together. We were taught if we pleased the Father, nothing else mattered...that loving Him and loving each were more important than being right.

I hope you prefer to eat at the table with love and happiness, than to eat at the table with pain and friction. God is preparing a banquet for all of us. Let's not keep each other from being there. Maybe we can sit together. I hope you'll save me a place.

Comments

You are welcome to come sit at our table, but I'll warn you, we serve up frozen chicken fingers and instant macaroni. I could probably warm up some Spaghetti O's if you like =). Thanks for this post. You have a gift with words that are MUCH appreciated!
Teresa Kimbel said…
You are so welcome. I'll take your spaghetti o's any day of the week, as long as we can eat them together. Thank you so much for the encouragement. We're all in this together. Won't Heaven be grand!!!
Valerie said…
Thank you for this post. I'm planning to print and reread! Yes. We're all in this together, we are FAMILY!
Melanie said…
Whew! We're praying for you all. Your words are encouraging. Amen--won't heaven be grand! Our table sounds a lot like Tiff's--heavy on love, but light on healthy :)

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Giants