Chronic Bronchitis

On November 21, 2016, my FB status read: "Day 33 with bronchitis. Three Dr's appointments, 2 cough meds, 1 steroid shot, 1 Z-Pak, 1 inhaler and 2 antihistamines. Please pray for me." Last night standing in my utility room doing laundry, breathing Purex laundry detergent, Downey UN-scented softener, Seventh Generation, Lavender scent detergent, that all-too-memorable tickling, drainage, and cough started again. I know the symptoms all too well, which means I know what is to come; and today it did. I am sick.

Out of bed at 3:00 a.m. to cough, so Phil could stay asleep. To the recliner covered up with the electric throw like my momma had years ago. (God love her. How I miss her!)  Thermometer in mouth to see if flu instead. (No it isn't. Thank-you, Lord!) Two cups of Throat Coat. (Not bad for the first time trying it.) Leggings and sweatshirt on to add warmth to the gown, plus five-year-old houseshoes that I should have thrown away years ago. (I hate going barefoot. Haven't found any houseshoes I like nearly as well, so old is okay.)

My long-time family doctor couldn't see me today, nor can he tomorrow, so I made an appointment for in the morning at 9:30 with a Nurse Practioner that I'm sure I'll cancel as soon as I finish this post. I know the drill: nothing works; wear it out.

It's good to have a blog, now that I'm not on FB, even if it's just to vent with words that fall on deaf ears. Just venting is good in and of itself.

I absolutely hate bronchitis. I've had it as long as six months at one time with little respite. The coughing, wheezing, congestion, pain and lethargy are almost unbearable; especially the lethargy.  But this time I'm handling it calmly because I know what to expect. Knowing what to expect is half the battle in handling what life throws your way.  Whatever life-experience or illness one goes through, cancer, canoeing, body-building, bronchitis, dieting, depression, etc., one gains a particular vocabulary. Talk about being a vegan and I am clueless what to say or how to cook for you. Talk about comfort food and that's another story.

Matthew 12:34 says that "Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." In other words, what I'm filled up with is what flows out. What did I talk about today? How many words flowed out of my mouth about God? How many words flowed out of my mouth about me, myself and I? Like Toby Keith's lyrics say, "I want to talk about me" -- "Want to talk about I" -- "Want to talk about number one" -- "Oh my me my!" So regretfully true. Of. Me.

Bronchitis always takes my voice away, which means I can't utter a word, not about anything but particularly about myself -- the topic of most of my conversations, of which I'm keenly aware. Maybe that's why I have bronchitis so often and that it lasts twice as long as the normal three month's time its supposed to last. Six months without bragging, nagging or complaining. Six. Months. Of. Silence. "Okay. I hear you, God."

"The Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth keep silent before him."
Habakkuk 2:20

"The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world."
Psalm 19:1-4

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight
O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."
Psalm 19:14

. . . even if my words are silent.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Giants