My favorite passage -- Heb. 12:1-3

My favorite passage of scripture in the whole Bible is Hebrews 12:1-3: “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses (the Hall of Faith people in Hebrews chapter 11), let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles (lack of faith), and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our fait...h, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” I remember where, when and why I memorized this passage.

When I was in my thirties and forties I was criticized more than at any other time in my life. I was becoming a leader in a man’s world, better known as the church, and God was teaching me submission—“making the decision work when I didn't agree with it”; and there were many. He was honing my people skills because he knew I would encounter many who needed him, like I myself did and still do. “Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” Blessed? In no way, then, did I think I was being blessed but, then, I couldn’t see the future. Today when someone needs a prayer warrior they know who to call; if they need wisdom they ask freely. Rejoice? What hurt so badly, then, was that the persecution came from within, from my own brothers and sisters in Christ, who I refer to today, to others who find themselves in this same boat, as “the winds and the waves.” Watch them and you’ll sink, which is Satan’s intention.

Humility is not thinking little of yourself; it’s not thinking of yourself at all. Submission is putting someone else’s needs above your own. When Jesus was grieving the death of John the Baptist he had compassion on the crowds and fed 5,000. When he withdrew to a solitary place to pray, Simon and his companions interrupted; he left to go preach. When he was preparing to die, he washed the disciples’ feet.

“During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered…” Why should I expect to be heard and learn by any other way?

The race marked out for us is a marathon, not a sprint. The writer of Hebrews knows that. He knows we will suffer many injuries along the way and be tempted to quit. So he encourages us to fix our eyes on Jesus, the one who "cut the path," who was injured the most, so we can run with patience the race that leads us to Him.
Here is the story behind the picture. http://www.kshb.com/dpp/sports/olympics/chinese-runner-hurts-leg-hobbles-down-track-and-kisses-final-hurdle

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Please pray for me