The Bowl

I guess since Phil’s been away this week-end I’ve had more time to think and solve the world’s problems. For some reason I’ve been more noticeable of everything – I guess I’m replacing Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes who just retired. This is going to sound like something he would write. Please forgive me if this blog is going to apply to you; I don’t mean it to be offensive to anyone – just funny and an indication of how we’ve gotten our priorities turned upside-down, our focus blurred and our common sense thrown out the window.

Since Phil has been gone I could have eaten ANYWHERE but have chosen to eat at home – even at this moment fixing potato soup, fried apples and cornbread. As I was peeling the potatoes I made myself stop bending over to use the garbage can as a “peeling catcher” deciding to use a bowl instead that Phil bought me that sits out on my counter all the time. (I know I could have used a Kroger bag or a Wal Mart bag which I used to use at the other house because they were always near me; here they’re not.) Anyway, I remembered that Rachel Ray advertises a bowl almost exactly like mine yet can sell it for $20.00. This has to make me wonder if her bowl does something my bowl doesn’t – like hold more potato peelings than mine, or if she can mix up more varieties of cake mixes, or if she can actually feed the dog out of it should she have one. I wonder if she has to work out to lift hers, can she place hers lower or higher than I can without it changing weight on her, can hers sit out on the counter or does it have to be put up. It just makes me wonder how talented her bowl is and if I need to have mine tutored maybe by someone at William Sonoma since they have top-of-the-line bowls. It just makes me wonder.

If you have a Rachel Ray bowl I do apologize for writing against it, but after reading the first nine chapters of Proverbs this past week about wisdom, I just wonder if it’s prudent to buy one– if it’s the best use of hard-earned-money when so many other purchases just make more sense. I have three $2.00 bowls sitting out on my counter at all times, that Phil bought me at Essex, which come to think of it, I don’t use nearly enough.

So I guess if you’ve ever thought about buying a Rachel Ray bowl, don’t. See me, call me, text me, e-mail me or maybe just tell someone who knows me that you want one of my three, Then I’ll probably go buy another one and then I can write another blog on being a hypocrite.

Comments

Jeanne said…
You're so funny, Teresa! I love your bowl. I do not have a Rachel Ray bowl, but I do love to use a big ol' cheap plastic bowl for scraps/trash/peelings while I'm cooking. But many times, I just use paper towels and then feel guilty for being wasteful.

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Giants