"Reach up, Mamie!"

Tonight my granddaughter Bella and I were walking outside in Baker Brothers' (which I've eaten at now 4 times in 2 weeks) parking lot. We ran fast and looked at ourselves in the mirrored glass in the building right next door. I helped her jump up on the sidewalk and held her hands so she could jump back down again. We smelled the flowers in the two flower pots and looked at the thing you put your cigarette butts into that looks like a nose bulb. We went back down the sidewalk and put our noses and hands against the mirrored glass in the building next door. We laughed and laughed as we looked at each other. Then we turned around and saw the birds. There were LOTS of them sitting on the top of the big ladder thingy that holds several satellite dishes and the other stuff I'm not smart enough to know about. Anyway, as I hunkered down to get closer to her, she hunkered down to get closer to me. As she held her hands up high she said "Reach up, Mamie." "Reach up," as though she could reach the birds. I held up my hands as though trying to reach them and said, "Bella, we can't reach that far." I held them up again and once again said, "Bella, we can't reach the birds." She persisted, "Reach up, Mamie." "Reach up!" And so I held up my hands with no faith at all that we could reach the birds. She said, "Get the ladder!" I said, "What ladder?" And she pointed to her imaginary ladder which, I'm sure in her mind’s eye was just like the one we were looking at that held the satellite dishes and the other stuff I’m not smart enough to know about. We proceeded to watch and I proceeded to count the birds (lots of birds) as they left the wires and flew away. She looked at me again as she held out her hands and said "Mamie, reach up." And so I lifted my hands, and I reached up. Then is when I heard the words, "Reach up, Teresa. I'm here for you…if you just reach up. If you will come closer to me, I will come close to you. I see the birds of the air; I see you. I will be here to catch you when you fall. I will be here to lift you up, when you need to be lifted up. Just reach up, Teresa. Just raise your hands, and I will be here to help you soar to new heights. See the unseen. Believe that you can. I can do more than you could ask or imagine.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Giants