Notes from the jelly belly

Okay, so those of you who've known me for some time, and that's most of you, are not going to believe that on February 7, 2008 I joined Bowling Green Parks & Recreation. Ruth had been wanting to exercise with me for some time and so I finally agreed. Because there is no sign up fee, we decided to join Parks & Rec. to see how long we'd last. So far I've been six times. Not bad for 15 days.

You know, if you've read my first blog, I keep a gratitude journal everyday, which I've done for the last three years. It has become something I do every day, and is something that shows me what I'm thankful for as well as keeps track of what I'm doing. I want to use some of my journal entries that relate to joining Parks & Rec. that I think are reflected in the Christian life as well.

February 7

  • Went with Ruth to Parks & Rec.
  • Joined P & R
  • Mike, the trainer -- thank-you God!!!
Somewhere I have read that most members of a given church, go there the first time because someone invites them or because one of their friends goes there. It's just so much easier for those of us who'eve never joined, to go with a friend who eases the awkwardness of going there the first time. Thanks, Ruth, for asking me. Thank you Mike for being our trainer. Mike is just 20 years old and could be, either one of us's "youngest" child. (That just sounds grammatically wrong and probably is, but you know what I mean). But he knows what he's doing and we don't. I don't care how old you are when you start to church, if you become a Christian when you're 60 you're still an infant in Christ. Age does not mean maturity in your "walk." It may just mean you started late and someone who knows the Lord has to help you get started. Thank you, Ruth, for asking me. Thank you, Mike, for training me at the age of 52 and thank you, Leona, for being my teacher at the age of 12.

February 8

  • Second day at Parks & Rec.
  • Could do all the exercises
  • Ruth and I are such good friends.

Only one day after we joined, we went again!!! WOW!!! How well we're welcomed, how well we're accepted and how comfortable we feel, only makes people want to come back for more. Did Mike leave us alone on day 2? No, he told us his hours, so when we came back, he would be sure to be there, because he knew we'd need more training.

"We sent Timothy, who is our brother and God's fellow worker in spreading the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith,..." 1 Thess. 3:2

On the second day I could do all the machines and all the exercises because Mike gave us a plan according to our ability. He did not give us the same perscription for fitness that a seasoned athlete would use. He knew the degree of difficulty that both of us needed and treated us accordingly.

"To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability." Matt. 25:15

I made this third entry because I consider Ruth to be a "friend that sticks closer than a brother." Prov. 18:24 One thing I've learned from watching the stronger guys, because I'm nowhere near this yet, is when someone wants to lift a heavy weight, he asks for someone to spot him, because he knows it may be more than he can lift. This is probably done more in the weight room than it is anywhere in our Christian lives. We normally come around to help pick up the pieces, instead of help mend broken hearts. The church could learn a lot from watching body builders lift weights. We need to watch out for each other. We need to be there when one of us gets down.

"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Gal. 6:2

February 12

  • New tennis shoes for $27.00 (bought at Kohl's on sale)
  • Gray and white jogging suit that fits

Of course, I don't need an excuse to buy clothes, but I used this opportunity to shop at Kohl's to properly equip me when I "worked out." And maybe it was just because I wanted new "duds" so Ruth and I wouldn't look like old "duds." hee! hee!

All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Tim. 3:16, 17

I want to know scripture enough that it just fits whenever I need to exercise it--put it into action, just like I feel in that gray and white jogging suit I just bought. It fits just right.

February 15

  • Working out at P. & R.
  • Phil brought me flowers at P. & R.

My husband epitomizes the following verse:

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy.....and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish," Eph. 5:25, 26

Phil has seen me stained, wrinkled, and blemished and he has always loved me. He encourages me to work out, but he loves me just the way I am. Plus, he's not ashamed to come to Parks & Rec. to bring me flowers, when he's in his suit and tie, and I'm there in my new gray and white jogging suit.

February 20

  • Focus
  • Exercise
  • Energy
  • Ruth and I went when neither of us wanted to

One of the hardest things for me to do is focus. My thoughts race and my mind goes a mile a minute. But for some reason, it's getting better. I've been able to think more clearly and multi-task with less frustration. Rather than "being all over the map" as my doctor calls it, I've been focused. Sounds something like this...

...and let us run with patience the race set before us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Heb. 12:1-3

When I am focused on Jesus, I am not watching the people around me, who distract me from running my own race. When I'm focused I can endure the pain of "working out" because I know the outcome. I will be an athlete one day who receives the crown.

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:13

I believe that the tension I've been holding in my body, is being released when I'm exercising and my mind is clearer to think and my body has more capacity to move. Does that make sense? I read last night that aerobic exercise, not toning or stretching, actually does something to the frontal lobe of the brain. "Aerobic exercise does not simply improve memory, it improves exactly the kind of memory that begins giving us trouble in middle age.." WOW!!!! And that's where I am.

How do I grow my faith? How does my faith increase? By exercising it!!! When I exercise my faith, my faith grows. When I exercise my body, my muscles grow.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1:2

I believe, just like my muscles grow when my body is exercised, my faith will grow when it is exercised. I've already experienced this, even in such a short time. When I first started out I could barely walk one mile in thirty minutes and that was huffing and puffing. My legs ached the first ten minutes while today I walked 1 1/4 miles in less than thirty minutes and my legs never ached at all. [I know that sounds insignificant to all you marathoners out there, but you have to realize this is a milethoner here] hee! hee! So, I think I've come a long way!!!

I believe when my body is exercised, it is also energized and able to do more than before. But I also believe when I quit exercising my muscles atrophy. Likewise, my faith.

"We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. in fact though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." Hebrews 5:11-14

Probably the most remarkable entry I made on day five, was that Ruth and I went when neither of us wanted to. I think that's extremely significant since we'd only been going five times. I believe that neither one of us wanted to let the other one down, so we went. We were encouraging each other. How many of us have gone to church when we just didn't feel like it or wanted to? But how many of us have been blessed by going?

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Heb. 10:24, 25

February 22

When the day is unusually good and I'm overwhelmed with thanksgiving, I don't just make five entries, I write sentences at the tops of the pages that reflect my gratitude. On February 22, fifteen days after joining, this is what I wrote:

"I feel so good! Working out has helped me so much mentally. I'm more focused and not nearly as anxious. Great hair day--looked good day. Had a 1 1/2 hour workout at P. & R. without Ruth."

Did you get that??????? I had a 1 1/2 hour workout without Ruth. I did it all alone!!! Wow have I come a long way!!! On February 7, I was scared to death to enter Parks & Rec., much less join. I just didn't think I could do it. I thought I was an old dog and I knew about old dogs. But in fifteen days I had gone from huffing and puffing, legs achin' to legs and arms pumping, muscles makin'.

I have come so far since joining this "no entry fee, pay monthly" gym. Just like I've come so far since joining this "no entry fee, already paid for" church... that Jesus paid so dearly for, with his blood that flowed so freely.....for me. Because of Him, I can do something I will never be able to do because of Bowling Green Parks and Recreation. I can "soar on wings like eagles; I can run and not grow weary, I can walk and not be faint." Isa. 40:31

"...train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." 1 Tim. 4:7,8

Now I want to be like the person who asked me to go when I was so afraid, so I can encourage the person like I was, to be the person I am becoming today.

  • Monthy fee at the gym ............ $20.00
  • Jogging suit and shoes ............ $40.00
  • Training myself for godliness .... Priceless




Comments

Valerie said…
Thank you for sharing this. I needed this today!

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Giants