Moms, You Can Do This!

Being a young mom is one of the hardest jobs I've ever known; being a dad is too. But since I'm a mom I want to speak from the heart of a mom who's been there and done that--to give hope to you who have children at home, little and big, wondering when will the rat-race end.

Of the four stages of a woman's life, beginnings, blossoming, nurturing and harvesting, nurturing is the busiest and was for me the hardest. You experience the Mary/Martha Syndrome, trying to be both, struggling to be good at either. You wear many hats, more than at any other time in your life: wife, mom, lover, nurse, counselor, maid, teacher, taxi driver, cook, worker outside the home, Bible teacher, entertainer, friend, daughter-in-law, daughter just to name a few. Other people control your life leaving much needed "me time" non-existent. Right now, you get a glimpse of how Jesus must have felt when his cousin died, he tried to get away and the whole town came knocking at his door. You get pushed aside, putting someone else's needs above your own.

Your children are teaching you invaluable lessons that you'll use the rest of your life just like the lessons you teach them they'll remember the rest of theirs. Becoming a parent changes your perspective. Years ago I heard someone say, "A child wrenches you out of your nap" -- words I applied physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually to my life -- words that rang true to my ears at the time. If you've never known God the Father, you will now.

However you feel today, wherever you are in this journey, I would say if you're like me when my children were younger, and even now with an adult daughter living with us, you're doing your gut-level best at being a mom; you just couldn't give any more. Many of you are running on empty just like I was, yet somehow will find the strength to give some more tomorrow. I applaud you!

God's rules for "success" are not mine; I believe his are easier; he only has two: love ME and love your neighbor. Right now your first neighbor is the man who rests his head on the pillow right beside you, the second is the child living down the hall. If you are like me, you would give your life to save theirs any day. God love you!

You're becoming more like Christ every day just by doing the mundane, the trivial, like simply washing your children's feet, whether you know it or not. When Peter said "No, you'll never wash my feet," Jesus knew what was best for him, sat an example, taught him to serve, and washed them anyway, just what I'm encouraging you to do. Know what's best, set the example, teach them to serve and stick to your guns. You can do this!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Wal-Mart

Please pray for me